Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Only Downside to the Smoking Ban

Okay, other than my extremely hightened sense of repulsion to cigarette smoke, the only real downside to the ban of smoking inside bars and restaurants in Chicago is that the gaggles of smokers congregate on the sidewalk!  This is perilous to the urban runner in many ways:

A) They're clogging the sidewalk! We live in a society, people!!
B) Um, your cigarette smoke is still offensive, especially when someone is trying to run by and is forced to take in a lung full of supposedly "fresh air."
C) The gesturing smoker is a burn threat.  Yes, this has happened to me.  I have been burned by a smoker gesturing with her cigarette.  Not fun.  Oh, and yes, I've been yelled at for putting out the cigarette---with the flesh of my arm! 

Did I mention that this is a society?  People!

1 comment: